Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The hardest part of the email to write

Is totally the subject line. You know, the bit where you summarise in five words or less what the email is going to be about. But what if it's just an email saying hi and telling the news. My mum always writes 'From Mum' or 'From Diana' which solves the problem of having to think of things, but seems a little redundant given that her email address includes her name. I often go with 'Hi' or 'Yo' but I think I like the idea of starting a sentence in the subject and then continuing it in the email, a technique mastered by my eldest sister and demonstrated by me in this very blog post. But none of those options really seemed appropriate for this email I just sent off: Hi Tim, This is a bit out of the blue, but I have been thinking for a while about starting an MTS traineeship with an AFES group. I go to Redemption Church in Claremont and currently work full time. I'm originally from over east, near Newcastle, but moved over here for work. Although my default plan is to work in Newcastle where I studied and know people, I want to explore my options a little before I jump in. This leads me to the question: is there a possibility of doing MTS at a Perth uni? I hope to start next year or maybe the year after. Cheers, Heather Sent from my iPad [I can probably stop this pretentious little line from concluding all my emails, but for reasons that I can't explain, I never do] So what goes in the subject line? I've never really met Tim, although we have been in the same room before, and I don't want to give too much away too soon. Anyway, I went with 'MTS' lacking in creativity though it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment